Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Why???

This article here really caught my intention. France apparently want to ban women to wear a burka (aka tudung/hijab). My question to the France...WHY???

I'm a Muslim, so maybe I'm a little bit bias, but I'm sure in a modern society, freedom of speech and expression is so very important, and so too the human rights. If the bikinis (sometimes topless) is allowed in public places, why covering yourself is a "symbol" of an oppression against women. Why the government want to control what people should be wearing? It up to the individual rights to do whatever their pleases with their life, as long as it's not a crime. When the hell "dress code" part of the crime anyway...

When I was in Manukan last year, me and my friend (and many more ppls on that island) encounter a tourist who's swimming and sunbathing topless! Malaysia is a Muslim country, and yes many KKrian is Christian, but we still Asian, we don't just go around topless on the beach! But out of the respect their culture (even though I don't think she respect ours), we just mind our own business and cared less about them.

It's all about respect and understanding people, no word is needed... or a freaking law!! If you think Muslim women whose wear burka is part of the oppression, maybe you should do a background check on them. I'm sure many educated Muslim women believe wearing a burka or hijab is part of women empowerment nowadays. And if a Muslim women choose to NOT wearing a hijab, it also part of their choice and human rights. We are in 21st century and still there are people from the 19th....

1 comment:

iNsOmNiAc said...

i agree with you, totally...
you know, all these lame excuses that this ppl gave is making them look stupid really.
it's annoying when ppl ask you to tolerate other culture but they can't do the same thing to you - so bloody unfair.