Thursday, March 06, 2014

It's no easy being me

I'm an ATC, an air traffic controller. Officially I've been in this profession for about 4 years, but technically I've been doing this for 2 and a half years. These 2 different terms that I used basically to point out that early in my career, what I do for a year and a half is study, taking courses and exams! 

It's not easy to become an ATC, I have to passed 3 courses in a year, transferred to KKATCC (Kota Kinabalu Air Traffic Control Centre) and continue for almost 6 months of local procedure training and live rating exam, and passed that rating check to finally work as a controller. However, because of my paycheck grade as my employment requirement, I was required to be able to work as radar controller. Hence, another course added, another 3 months of studies and exams. Then, back to training of local procedure for radar environment, and of course the live rating check and finally I got my rating license. 

If you think that's the end of it, you wrong my friends... In Malaysia, an ATC have multiple rating, I don't know how it's works in other countries, but Malaysian ATCs' especially the higher grade rank, able to do radar, area planner, approach and approach radar and tower as in aerodrome and ground control. I've taken 3 courses and have 3 ratings, as area planner, area radar and also tower (thats include the live rating). So, if I want to have all the 5 ratings (it's better to finish all the courses early as the brain still young), it means I have 2 courses to go, which I'm pretty sure I will going to attend one of it this year, plus other technical courses offered such as SAR (search and rescue) and PANS OPS. In the end, throughout my career I'll be attend courses, taking exams and of course yearly proficiency check with theory paper exam for each ratings that I have!

And then I'm asking myself, why... Oh why did I applied for this job? Beside all the studies and exams, and rating checks, added with high stress working environment, sometimes overwork when you being recalled during your off day, with government paycheck... This is a satisfying and self rewarding career. I cannot explain how satisfying it is when you talk to aircrafts non-stop for an hour, do coordination at the same time your mind working on plan A, B and C, and D, and so on, and your adrenaline suddenly kick in rushing through your body making you stomp your feet continuously. Once it all over, you like... Yeah, I did that, proud and relief. However, it can be disappointing sometimes when all the hard work your pour in was not recognized by anyone especially in the aviation industry itself. 

Good day!

No comments: