Thursday, July 24, 2008

RF radiation...???

I just got back from a seminar/talk about radio frequency (RF) radiation and health awareness from mobile phone, electronic appliances and communication towers. Well, we've heard a lot of stories about this on the net and most of it maybe just a myth.

I had seen many reports about this on CNN and documentaries on TV, but the first thing that cross my mind when I knew about this topic today was this korean TV show on KBSWORLD that I just watch a few weeks ago. I forgot what it is... well they tasted the frequency of home appliances and mobile phone, in a very funny way! Maybe thats why that the first thing I remember, not the CNN report about the effect among kids using cellphone in a very early age; well that was second... Anyway, microwave is the most hazardous in term of RF, but not deadly coz if it is, we will not using it today.

One of the panel is associate prof. from UMS's Medical School, and his insight was interesting. There was a study done in Singapore that stated using cellphones too long can cause headache. But again, there is no proper test on when the headache start or why; it can be from stress or maybe a migraine.

I'm not worried about using mobile phone. Yes, it has RF but as the prof. said, either we in our own home or walking down the street, we will be expose to many kind of hazardous things like dust, UV sunlight and RF from other appliances. Plus the RF from mobile phone is not that high and a human body still can handle the frequency; that is maybe around 800-2100MHz.

Why I'm talking about this??? I don't know, really... Maybe I just want the "Mythbuster" to test is it true you can make a popcorn from 4 cellphones ringing at the same time.... (One of the questions during the talk)

No comments: